Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Reflections week 2

Francisco Usero Gonzalez 
Reflections
My concern is about the idea of providing our students what they need for their learning development, I mean their basic needs should be covered as they start learning. One of the "quotations" that I found many times searching for this information is ""Maslow" before "Bloom"". That is the reason why I wrote another post whose title is "The battle of pyramids in Education: Maslow vs Bloom".
As I was going deeper and deeper in this topic I realized that many aspects affect our students´ performances including their sense of belonging, their emotions, their motivations, their families and environment... and the importance of the urban school staff and teachers in dealing with them all. At the end of the chapter one of 19 questions about urban education you can read all the data, it´s alarming the rates of poverty in big cities even mentioning hunger. Reading all this information motivated me to keep on reading and researching about this.
One of my conclusions is that education and children have a low value in this society. Most of children, in poverty conditions, are not protected and, as I read in some social media comments, some teachers they don´t consider their task to help them. I would like to think that they don´t know how. However they could help them offering some "indications" and ways to get to some non-profit organizations that deal with them, for example. I don´t want to think that they don´t feel as being part of their problem...
It´s surprising how important the students´ families are in their academic performances and motivation. I wrote about these topics: parent engagement and student´s motivation and I added a video that sums up this idea of Maslow and Bloom with some tips for helping school community members.
I hope you like the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment